18 Feb Paul Gessing
Rio Grande Foundation President Paul Gessing reviews the results of the New Mexico 55th Legislative Session and the following topics:
- The Rio Grande Foundation Freedom Index results are in: https://errorsofenchantment.com/2022-freedom-index-results-published/. This is good information for voters.
- Legislature bill signing: https://errorsofenchantment.com/mlg-vetoes-pork-while-some-call-for-a-special-session/.
- New Mexico’s unemployment has recovered the least among US states since COVID 19: https://errorsofenchantment.com/wallethub-new-mexicos-unemployment-rate-has-recovered-the-least-among-50-states/.
- New Mexico also has the HIGHEST unemployment rate among states: https://errorsofenchantment.com/new-mexico-now-has-highest-unemployment-rate-among-us-states/. 5.9 %, not counting the decreasing Labor Force Participation Rate.
- With high gas prices, how is the Biden Administration keeping energy prices high? https://errorsofenchantment.com/help-ukraine-help-new-mexico-drill-baby-drill/.
- Energy: Lack of leases on federal lands (impacting New Mexico particularly). Outer continental shelf/ANWR are other options. Reduce regulations, encourage rather than discourage investment in the industry.
- Department of Energy: natural gas is the most affordable way to heat your home: https://errorsofenchantment.com/natural-gas-is-lowest-cost-way-to-heat-your-home/.
- New Mexico Senator Martin Heinrich says, “Cooking on your stove is like letting your babysitter smoke in your house.”
- ABQ City Council ends the plastic bag ban. https://errorsofenchantment.com/albuquerque-city-council-poised-to-end-plastic-bag-ban/.
- Rising spending and declining student population put APS spending into record territory (nearly $23,000 per pupil): https://errorsofenchantment.com/albuquerque-public-schools-spending-rises-to-22877-per-pupil/.